Top Skincare Tips for Winter
We may be smack bang in the middle of winter here in Australia, albeit a slightly milder one in some parts of the country compared to winters past. But no matter what your local Australian winter climate experience is, from the tropical north to chilly Tasmania in the south, it is always a good time for men to talk about skincare. Taking care of your skin during winter is crucial as the colder weather can lead to dryness, irritation, and other skin issues men may experience.
We have put together some of our top skincare tips for men to help maintain healthy and glowing skin during the winter season:
- Moisturise Regularly: Use a rich and hydrating moisturiser that suits your skin type. Ideally look for moisturisers that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and ceramides to lock in moisture and provide long-lasting hydration. Moisturisers for men does not need to be limited to just your face. You should also take into consideration areas such has hands and the rest of your body especially if exposed to the elements. Options for mens facial moisturisers in winter include Menscience Advanced Face Lotion, Anthony Oil Free Facial Lotion, Baxter of California Oil Free Moisturiser, Triumph & Disaster Gameface Moisturiser. When it comes to body lotions and your hands check out Captain Fawcett Hand Cream Expedition Reserve, Triumph & Disaster Restoration Balm, Menscience Advanced Body Lotion.
- Protect Your Skin: Even though it's winter, don't skip on sunscreen. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 to shield your skin from harmful UV rays. Sunscreen is especially important if you are participating in outdoor winter activities or spending time in snowy areas, as the sun's reflection can intensify its effects.
- Use a Gentle Cleanser: Avoid harsh facial cleansers that strip your skin of its natural oils. Opt for a gentle, non-drying cleanser that effectively removes impurities without causing further dryness. Consider using a cream or oil-based cleanser for mens skin that will provide extra hydration. For your face you will find great options from Baxter of California Daily Face Wash, Menscience Daily Face Wash, Anthony Glycolic Facial Cleanser, Lucky Tiger Liquid Face Wash and Urth Face Wash.
- Avoid Hot Showers: While it is tempting to take hot showers during the winter, hot water can strip your skin of its natural oils and exacerbate dryness. Stick to lukewarm water and limit your shower or bath time to prevent excessive moisture loss from your skin. When you do should it is worth considering body washes with hydrating benefits for your skin. Options include: O'Douds Body Wash, Byrd Hydrating Body Wash, Captain Fawcett Expedition Reserve Body Wash.
- Exfoliate Regularly: Gentle exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells and allows your moisturiser to penetrate better. However, avoid over-exfoliating as it can lead to skin irritation. Choose a mild exfoliator and limit it to once or twice a week. A couple of mild exfoliators to consider would be Anthony Glycolic Exfoliating & Resurfacing Wipes, Baxter California Facial Scrub, Menscience Microfine Face Scrub and Urth Face Scrub.
- Hydrate from Within: Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your skin hydrated from the inside out. Staying hydrated helps maintain your skin's natural moisture balance and improves overall skin health.
- Protect Your Lips: Lips are prone to dryness and chapping during the winter. Apply a nourishing lip balm or ointment that contains ingredients like beeswax, shea butter, or petroleum jelly to keep your lips moisturised and protected. We have a couple of lip balm options for men that will keep those lips pucker friendly including Captain Fawcett Lip Balm, Baxter of California Hydro Salve Lip Balm, Triumph & Disaster Jaggr Lip Balm and Stryx Advanced Lip Balm.
- Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: A healthy lifestyle reflects on your skin. Eat a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and omega-3 fatty acids. Get enough sleep, manage stress levels, and exercise regularly to improve circulation and maintain overall skin health.
Remember, everyone's skin is different and our winter climate can dramatically change from one part of the country to another, so it's essential to listen to your skin's needs and adjust your skincare routine accordingly.